The Follies of Gavin Newsom
By Peter Verbica
President, CA Congress of Republicans
Merriam-Webster defines “folly” as “lack of good sense or normal prudence and foresight” and “criminally or tragically foolish actions or conduct.” It’s a word which comes to mind when one examines the antics of hapless Governor Gavin Newsom (the reported darling of nest-featherers Pelosi, Feinstein, Brown and Getty[i]).
Lately, he has been busier than an arsonist with a fresh pack of matches. To wit:
- signing over 1,000 new bills[ii], ensuring businesses and taxpayers will continue to leave California in droves,
- shoe-horning statewide rent control into law, despite clear-eyed economists who warn that such wrong-headed policies will drive up costs to renters and lower supply[iii],
- blaming utility companies for turning off electricity rather than looking at the foolhardy policies of radical environmentalists[iv],
- raising taxes and fees on the backs of the poor and the Middle Class (including helping California to outstrip Hawaii for highest gas prices in the country[v]),
- frittering away precious time while not advocating for much-needed dramatic pension reform[vi], and
- fighting two recall petitions which seek to dethrone him.
You know that you have to be despised to attract not one, but TWO recall initiatives! (Go to https://recallnewsom.us/ and https://ranaf.org/full-recall-info-page for more information.)
Will the California taxpayer finally wake up and throw these Sacramento bums out? Only time will tell, as our state devolves into Venezuela II.
Let’s hope that Gavin has a cousin who owns a truck who can help him and his new wife Jennifer (an expert on “toxic” masculinity[vii]) pack their bags.